UK marriage or spouse visa allows a person to live in the UK with his or her spouse who is present and settled in the UK – (ILR Holder or British Citizen). UK marriage visa is a part of the “UK Family visa” category. Since 9 July 2012, you are required to meet the financial requirement to get your partner to the UK. Your partner can also bring children (if any) for the whole they have sole custody or sole responsibility with you to the UK as a dependent child.
There are eligibility conditions that you and/or your married partner need to meet to meet the requirements for making the UK Marriage Visa application. They are the following:
- You and your partner both need to be 18 or above.
- Your partner must be a British citizen or should hold Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
- You must be legally married to each other and marriage should be recognized in the UK or you should be in a civil partnership with each other.
- You must intend to live together permanently.
- You must be able to support yourself and dependents (if any) financially on your own or be supported by your partner without seeking public funds.
- Your sponsoring partner must earn a minimum of £18,600 per year or should have minimum savings of £16,000 to sponsor you. The minimum earning required goes up to £ 22,400 if there is a dependent child. Subsequently, for each child, an extra income of £2,400 per year is required.
- There must be adequate accommodation for you, your partner and any dependents.
- You need to have a good knowledge of the English language.
If you meet the above conditions you are eligible to make a UK marriage visa application to join your partner in the UK.
You can apply from outside the UK.
You can also apply from inside the UK if you have a leave to remain in the UK for more than 6 months.
If you are in the UK on any other visa that allows you to live in the UK for not more than 6 months then you cannot switch to a UK marriage visa. You need to leave the UK and make a fresh application for the same.
You need to submit all the documents and pieces of evidence required also as part of your application. Your partner in the UK can also apply on your behalf.
You can also bring in your dependent children. You need to add them to your application as dependents.
You need to pay the application fee as well. The fee amount is £1,523 if you apply from outside the UK and £1,033 if applying from inside the UK and Immigration Health Surcharge of £400 per year which will be increased to £624 in October 2020.
If you are granted the visa you can enter the UK and you must collect a biometric residence permit within 10 days of your arrival, which will be given for 2.5 years.
If your visa is rejected you can appeal against the decision provided you are granted the right to appeal in your refusal letter.
How long can you stay?
Initially, you will be allowed to live for 2.5 years in the UK after which you need to apply for an extension if you want to continue living with your partner in the UK. Once you have completed 60 months you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
Expert services from Visa and migration
You must seek an expert’s service to make the correct application to avoid refusal. We have been providing immigration services to our clients for several years. You can get our services at all levels right from what to fill, how to fill, what documents to attach, where to send and so on. We make sure your visa application is successful and if your visa gets refused we also help you make a fresh application, make and appeal where many things can go wrong and cost you heavily if you do it on your own. Speak with our experts now, call at +44 (0)20 3411 1261
Subscribe our YouTube channel and watch latest videos