How to apply for a visa as the parent of a child in the UK

parent of a british child visa uk

The UK Immigration Rules allows a parent to come to the UK to live with their child in the UK. You can apply for a visa as the parent of a child in the UK to take care of your child. However, if you can apply as a partner you should apply for a partner or spouse visa instead of applying as a parent. So, you can come to the UK, remain in the UK and settle in the UK as a parent of a child who is either a British citizen or is settled in the UK provided you meet the eligibility conditions.

 Eligibility requirements for parent applicant
  • You must be 18 or above 18.
  • You must have a genuine and subsisting relationship with your child.
  • You are outside the UK. If you apply in the UK, your child must have lived in the UK for 7 years continuously at the time of your application and it would be unreasonable for them to leave.
  • You must have sole parental responsibility or shared responsibility for your child. If you have shared responsibility then the other parent or carer of the child must be:
  • Either a British Citizen or settled in the UK.
  • Not your partner.
  • You must have access rights to your child in person if the child is living with the other partner or carer. You can get the access rights through either the agreement from the other partner or carer or by a court order.
  • You must prove through evidence that you are taking an active role in raising the child and you plan to continue it.
  • You must meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements. This means you need to prove that you can support yourself and your child sufficiently without seeking any public fund.
  • You must prove that you have good enough knowledge of the English language.
Eligibility requirements for your child in the UK
  • Your child must be under 18 or under 18 when you were first granted leave and not live an independent life.
  • He/she must be a British Citizen or settled in the UK.
  • He/she must be living in the UK.

Depending on whether you apply in the UK or outside the UK, you need to pay a different fee for the parent of a British child visa UKIf you are applying in the UK, you need to pay £1033 + Immigration Health Surcharge and biometric fee. If you apply outside the UK, you need to pay £1523 + Immigration Health Surcharge.

How to apply?

Whether applying in the UK from outside the UK, you must apply online.

How long you can stay in the UK?

If you are granted the visa, you will be allowed to stay in the UK for 2.5 years and after this, you need to apply for an extension if you want to live further.

How long does it take to get a decision?

If you apply in the UK it takes up to 8 weeks and if you apply outside the UK it takes up to 12 weeks to get a decision on your visa application. It may take longer also depending on your circumstances.

Adding other children as dependents

If you want to apply for more than one child, you can do it by adding them to your application as dependents. Children that you want to add as dependents must be below 18 years of age or they were under 18 at the time they were first granted leave on a family visa and they are not living an independent life.

How we can help?

Applying for the visa as the parent of a child in the UK is a complex process. As immigration lawyers, we will provide you with the relevant immigration advice and services to make the application process easy for you and achieve success.

Source link

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *